Beijing Free and Easy Blog: Day 2

Great Wall of China

Getting to the Great Wall of China


Getting to this place was one of my top 悩み nayami concern when planning for this free and easy trip.
People I know who had went to this place before went by tour.
So they had tour buses to get them there.
But now I am on my own, どうやっていくの douyatte iku no how do I get there?



Here is a link where I find it very useful into getting to the Great Wall of China.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/greatwall.htm

I took the 877 bus to Badaling wall.
But on your way to the bus stop, you will see lots of people shouting Badaling, and usher you into their buses.
Just walk straight. Until you see the below building.

Hujialou 877 bus stop
The building next to 877 bus station to Badaling Wall
The 877 bus stop is tonari next to it.
You pay when you get onto the bus. CNY12 per person.
Quite a comfortable trip.

badaling bus 877 guide
The kind guide that gave useful information on Bus 877
On the bus, there was a kind guide who is very 親切 shinsetsu kind to provide information about the Great Wall of China and be very willing to 質問に答える shitsumon ni kotaeru answer your questions...in Chinese of course.
Honestly, I never thought there would be a guide to tell us all these information in the first place for a public bus and at this considerably cheap price.

He would tell you the do and don`ts; where to get the best view; the time to come back for the last bus; etc.

It was an unexpected good service.


Arriving at the Badaling Wall


When you arrived, you have 2 選択 sentaku options to the Great Wall.
a) walk (about 10 mins)
b) take the pulley.

badaling great wall ticket counter
The ticketing office at Badaling Wall
I walked up.
Pay CNY45 for the entrance.

badaling great wall north side
North Side is more popular than the South Side
Then there are the
a) South Side
b) North Side

You will see that the South Side is 人気がなさそう ninki ga nasasou not so popular.
It was quite empty.

And the North Side was crowded.
Anyway, the North Side is far more adventurous.


"Climbing" the Great Wall of China


Some of the walkway could be quite 険しい kewashii steep.
And the steps are knee high.
It was quite 大変 taihen tough.
Firstly, I thought of going to the highest point.
Gave up when I reached the 5th station. (9th being the highest).

Nevertheless, despite the hardship of climbing it.
It never stop to 驚く odoroku amaze me when I see 80 year old people with a walking stick
and also....

badaling great wall children
Small kids at the Badaling Wall
8 year old small children with small feet


badaling great wall women
Girls at Badaling Wall in high heels

...and some 18 year old with high heels

Gosh, do you go hiking in high heels?
Here, they do.
Furthermore I saw a few girls were running down the slope in high heels.
すごい sugoi Fascinating!

badaling great wall south side
The South Side of Badaling Wall
After I completed the North Side, I went for the leisure walk to the South Side.
Which was quieter and with less people.
Took my sweet time there for photos and enjoying the view of the North Side.


Food: the Great Wall of China


It must be funny talking about food when we are talking about the Great Wall of China.
The truth is, you will be damn おなかがすいた onaka ga suita hungry after the climb.
china sausage hotdog
Sausages are sold everywhere

After returning from the North Side.
I had some sausages before I went to the South Side.
Sausage is as though it was the staple snack food for the Chinese.
You will see it everywhere.

Tips: Non tourist area sells for like CNY3 per sausage. At tourist spots, it is sold for CNY5. If you are hungry, どうでもいい dou demo ii who cares anymore.

beijing squid skewer

I had some squid skewer on my way back waiting for the bus.
CNY10 for 4. Very nice.

beijing snack jian bing
Jian Bing (Fried Biscuit)
After returning from the Badaling Wall, at the Hujialou bus station,
I had this jian bing (means fried biscuit in Chinese).
I ordered a special jian bing with sausage. (hahaha...sausage again).

See video on how jian bing was made.



CNY4 for the jian bing + CNY3 for the sausage = CNY7.
Very delicious. Wanted to have another one, but おなかがいっぱい onaka ga ippai stomach was full.



Bird`s Nest and Water Cube


olympic stadium bird nest water cube
Bird`s Nest, Water Cube and I
Once you got out of the subway, you will notice these two beautiful buildings, the Bird`s Nest and the Water Cube.

Expect your bag to be scanned before entering the premise.
They do this at every subway entrance too.
The security is good.
I think this is a good practice.
I like it. Though some may feel this is 面倒くさい mendoukusai troublesome.
I was no trouble for me.

olympic stadium beijing kites
Kites for sale at Beijing Olympic Stadium

Once you are inside the premise, you will come upon a lot of vendors trying to sell you something.
Some are selling kites.
Some are selling souvenirs.

Most popular is to sell you photography services. 4 pictures for CNY10.
Almost every 10 steps you walked, someone will 近づいてくる chikazuite kuru come approach you.

Honestly, I had 3 cameras on my hand.
One DLSR, One Point-and-shoot, one handphone camera + gorilla pod.
I really didn`t need their service.
Also, I think I take better quality pictures than them.

I like the 涼しい suzushii cooling wind there.
Sat there until the sky turned dark.
Voila! Lights up!

olympic stadium beijing at night
Bird`s Nest and Water Cube at night
Recommend you be there at night when it was lighted.
It was really きれい kirei beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 • Picturelearning Japanese • Design by Dzignine, Blogger Blog Templates

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...